Matthew H. Hoy
Areas of Practice
- Estate planning and administration; trusts; wills; charitable trusts; family wealth planning; and powers of attorney.
- Trust and Estate administration and litigation.
- Estate, gift, and generation skipping transfer tax planning.
- Business start-up; entity formation such as corporations, limited liability companies, limited partnerships, and joint ventures; raising equity and capital; business operations and transactions; and business succession planning.
- Real Estate development; industrial and commercial real estate financing and leasing.
Matt works with business owners and professionals as they encounter estate planning issues and business succession issues. In addition, Matt maintains a very substantial practice representing families and financial institutions dealing with estate administration matters such as probate, trust administration, and litigation related to those procedures.
Matt counsels entrepreneurs and their companies in transactional matters including formation, raising capital, mergers and acquisitions, contract negotiations, and general managerial issues.
Matt advises businesses in a variety of industries including health care, banking, energy, entertainment, real estate development, advertising, technology and life-sciences, and financial services.
AFFILIATIONS, ACTIVITIES AND HONORS
The Best Lawyers in America®, 2013-present
University of Kansas School of Law CALI Award for Excellence in Taxation, 1996
Douglas County Estate Planning Council, President, 2002
Lawrence, KS Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors, Chair Elect, 2009; Chair, 2010
Douglas County Kansas Bar Association
Kansas Bar Association, Member, Real Property, Probate and Trust Section; Corporate and Banking Law Section
American Bar Association, Member, Real Property, Probate and Trust Section
The Missouri Bar
- Annual Probate Law Update. Kansas Bar Association. Co-Author. 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014.
- Kansas Real Estate Practice and Procedure Chapter 5, Residential Landlord and Tenant Law. Kansas Bar Association. Author. 2009.
- Kansas Real Estate Practice and Procedure Chapter 11, Commercial Real Estate Leases in Kansas. Kansas Bar Association. Author. 2009.
- Long Term Care Handbook Chapter Chapter 1, Planning For Incapacity. Kansas Bar Association. Co-author. 2008. Supplement, 2009.
- Advising the Elderly. Chapter 7. Planning for Real Property, Including the Residence. Thomson West. Author. 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008.
- Powerful Powers Under the Kansas Powers of Attorney Act. Journal of the Kansas Bar Association. Author. June, 2005.
- University of Kansas, School of Law. Adjunct Professor forBusiness Planning Seminar, a for 3-hour credit course. Taught two semesters of theBusiness Planning Seminar to University of Kansas Law Students who are in their final semester of law school. The Business Planning Seminar is considered a “capstone” course bringing together the prerequisite business association, taxation, and securities courses. Lawrence, Kansas. 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014.
- Kansas Bar Association – KBA Agriculture Law Committee. Presented to Attorneys. Estate Planning and Agriculture. Manhattan, Kansas. November, 2014.
- Kansas Bar Association. Presented to Attorneys. Contested Guardianship/Probate. Topeka, Kansas. October, 2012.
- Wichita Estate Planning Council. Presented to Attorneys and estate planning professionals. Probate and Trust Litigation. Wichita, Kansas. November, 2012.
- Kansas Bar Association. Presented to Attorneys. Litigation in Guardianships, Conservatorships, Probate and Trust Administration. Telephone CLE, 2010.
- Kansas Bar Association Elder Law CLE. Presented to Attorneys. Guardian, Conservatorship and Powers of Attorney Update. Junction City, Kansas. November, 2009.
- Kansas Bar Association Annual Meeting. Presented to Attorneys. Drafting and Using Powers of Attorney in Kansas. June, 2006.
- Kansas Legal Services. Presented to Attorneys. Drafting and Using Powers of Attorney in Kansas. Overland Park, Kansas. May, 2006.
- Douglas County Estate Planning Council. Presented to Attorneys and Estate Planning Professionals. Powerful Powers Under Kansas Power of Attorney Act. Lawrence, Kansas. March, 2006.
- Kansas Bar Association. Presented to Attorneys. Powers of Attorney in Kansas. Telephone CLE, April, 2005.
- Western Kansas Estate Planning Council. Presented to Attorneys and Estate Planning Professionals. Kansas Powers of Attorney. November, 2005. Hays, Kansas.
- Kansas Bar Association. Presented to recently admitted Attorneys. Basic Estate Planning and Will Drafting. Overland Park, Kansas. 2003.